The pandemic has brought challenges to our community that have required incredible resilience and creativity. Those in the arts, who survive and thrive off the applause of a live audience had to pivot and make their productions digital. Restaurants usually bustling with diners saw their tables empty and curbsides busy.
SRQ’s November 2020 edition looked for the fun in dysfunctional. Pairing up local chefs and artists for the quirky feature Dish + Art, where a mermaid painted on wood becomes a fried fish taco. Showcasing craft breweries, cheer yourself up with some pink beer. Sarasota Contemporary Dance Company throws new kind of party with their Quinceañera show and socially conscious artists John Sim and Mike Solomon find inspiration in the darkest of times. Celebrating the small joys of right now is easy with some Smoquehouse Korean BBQ sandwiches and an inside scoop on the best places to go thrifting.
- Pandemic Portraits: Mike Solomon captures the faces of turbulent times with his latest exhibition.
- It’s a Rad World: Raleigh Mosely, Ariel Blue and Derric Gobourne Jr. each explore their artistic identity.
- Subject to Change: In the wake of COVID-19, performance arts organizations scrambled toward an uncertain future.
- John Sims: The story of this irreducible artist and activist and his life’s work.
- Get Bronzed: Handsome hardware bounces light around kitchens and bathrooms.
- Woven Life: The Gals of Woven Home Collection bring rattan bookcases and bamboo coffee tables to bohemian bargain hunters.
- Something White: Camilyn Beth’s newly launched bridal collection is ready for wedding season to unravel.
- Postcard Time Stamps: Orange Moon Interiors brings new life to a 1960s Holmes Beach vacation rental through vintage postcard finds.
- Waste Not, Want Not: Goodwill’s Bargain Barn offers its donated items one last shot a salvation in a whirlwind of a thrifting experience.
- What Goes Around Comes Around: Affordable, trendy and affiliated with local charities, these local spots are the best place to find your newest old treasure.
- BBQ, Evolved: Smoquehouse eggs the stubborn mule called BBQ forward.
- Bright Brews: Four local breweries take a German beer to the next level with a distinctly Florida Vibe.
- Dish + Art: A roundup of this year’s gorgeous painting and plating mashups.
ON THE FLIPSIDE
- Top Doctors: The Annual Peer-Review Medical Resource Guide recognizing Top Doctors from Bradenton Beach and Lakewood Ranch to Sarasota, Venice and North Port, FL.
Click here to check out the full digital edition of the November 2020 edition of SRQ Magazine. To engage with the annual Top Doctors Medical Resource Guide, click here.