It may be a short month, but SRQ has a long list of great reads for you in our February 2020 Business Edition. Warm up your winter taste buds with some Latin heat or Cajun spice with a trip to El Melvin Cocina Mexicana and Shiny Gumbo Food Truck. Next, kick your winter blues by shopping for all things Classic Blue inspired by Pantone’s color of the year. Learn about local angel investors and young entrepreneurs further adding to Sarasota’s vibrant portfolio of businesses. Better yet, take a trip around the globe with the international cast of characters featured in this issue: a Venice based sculptor from Hungary, an Israeli DJ staging pop-up concerts around town, a fashionable French duo with a new concept store or lastly, a Sarasota native relocated to Australia to get lost in the outback. #LIVELOCAL #LOVELOCAL
- Winds of Change: Six young millenial locals are looking to define the experience of this future and undoubtedly shape our hometown in the years and decades to come.
- Calling All Angels: On the shores of retiree-rich Sarasota, there’s a particular interest in turning retirees with thick investment portfolios into funders and angels for bright business ideas originated here.
- Forum 2040 The Future Vision for Philanthropy and the Arts: Donors and community leaders gave us a rather uncommon and unique perspective, and it was clear that they were glad to have an opportunity to share their accumulated wisdom
- SunCoast Blood Bank: Cultivating a younger and broader generation of active donors.
- Tribute to Business Leadership in the Region: SRQ Media pays tribute to our community’s visionary local businesses and the people behind them.
SRQIST: Local Heart & Soul Stories About the People, Places and Experiences that Define Our Hometown
- Let the BeatDrop: SRQ-BEATSproduction company wants to connect the city to sound.
- Who Rule the World?: The only museum in the world dedicated solely to women in sports is due to make its mark in Sarasota
- Family Recipe: Shiny Gumbomakes Louisiana cuisine a Florida family affair.
- Modern Explorer: SRQ goes out on a limb with the female Indiana jones of our time.
- The Course of the Heart: Paul Caragiuloon Sarasota, sincerity and public policy.
CULTURE CITY: Arts + Culture, Performing and Visual Arts, Portfolio, In Studio, Art-sheet
- NewDigs: Sarasota’s Westcoast Black Theatre Troupereturns with a stellar new space and 20th-anniversary season.
- A Match Made in Theater: Florida Studio Theatre presents “Handle With Care,” a charming rom-com with an even more charming backstory.
- A Giant’s Shoulders: Four decorated illustrators and cartoonists dish on the art and legacy of Jack Davis.
- Prometheus Rising: In a nondescript garage in Venice, sculptor Geza Gasparre builds what he left behind.
CARGO: The Goods, Design Dossier, Retail Therapy, Antique Story, Nest, Books
- Siesta Stunner: A 3,200-square-foot new residence on Siesta Key is the contemporary work of Tampa’s Traction Architectureand a “forever home” for Domingo and Karin Galliano.
- Classic Blue: Pantone Color of the Year: Classic Blue is reminiscent of the sky at dusk or a sapphire gemstone.
- A La Mode: Trendsetters, jet-setters and gal pals from France bring high fashion stateside with the MOI Concept Store.
- Cut From the Same Cloth: A couple of eco-minded craft carpenters form JL Productions Custom Woodcrafts.
FORAGE: At the Table, Foodarama, Restaurants, Foodie Life
- Make It Melt Melvin: Heating up the streets of Downtown Sarasota is El Melvin Cocina Mexicana.
- Affogato Bout It: From scoop to shot, the best local spots to grab the creamy coffee Italian treat affogato.
AGENDA: Insight on Politics, Government and Business
- Grip on theGavel: Senate President Bill Galvano has one more legislative session, and he wants the Bradenton area to feel the benefit.
Get in on all the goodness and pick up a copy of this month’s edition today!
-The SRQ team