Our September issue shines the spotlight on noteworthy trends in fashion, food, art and innovation, keeping you in the loop on local buzz. TRENDSPORT lets you live it all in style from the best beaches to the best bruschetta. Learn to make jerky, see what the South Florida Museum has in store and find out the secret lives of pets and their owners. Find out the secret to fidget spinners and why Longboat Key seems to be tapping the talent from nearby communities. Snorkel in the sun and roast s’mores in the moonlight. It’s season in Sarasota-Bradenton and time to get moving!
SRQIST–Local Heart & Soul Stories About the People, Places and Experiences that Define Our Hometown
- Steel Sips: The beverage holder that put Osprey on the map made a material change this April as Tervis added stainless steel cups to its inventory.
- Jellyfish Innovation: From prototype to Kickstarter, the Grattons create a tabletop ecosystem.
- Sarasota Bay Dolphin Record: Dolphin births enjoy record year.
- Mote Marvel: Mote Marine Laboratory’s Dr. Tracy Fanara joined the ranks of superheroes last month with her inclusion in the Marvel comic The Unstoppable Wasp #5, which follows the adventures of super-scientist Nadia Pym and her all-female team of scientists, G.I.R.L. (Genius In action Research Labs) as they recruit more young women into the sciences.
- New College, New Science: With the completion of the latest expansion to the Heiser Natural Sciences Complex at New College of Florida, students and faculty alike can look forward to a whole new experience this year.
- Animated Affection: The senior thesis film from Esteban Bravo and Beth David, In A Heartbeat captured hearts nationwide and went viral overnight with its charming story, adorable animation and message of openness.
- Turtle Power: Longboat Key volunteers help hatch amphibian friends.
CARGO–Hunting and Gathering Essential Goods, Retail Therapy, Book Brand, NicNacs and Nest
- To the Sole: Charleston Shoe Company’s Neely Powell on her most important things in life.
- Renaissance Revival: Bound to spark conversation and undoubtedly a historic addition of home décor, Sarasota Trading Company’s French Empire clock brings a piece of the past forward long after the style’s reign.
- Layers in Denim: A fall wardrobe curated with denim, layering and timeless wardrobe essentials.
- Book It: Recommended short stories and war stories for the ravenous reader.
FORAGE–At the Table Imbibes, Restaurants, 5 Ingredients, Pantry and Foodie Life
- Doctor’s Orders: Going to the Doctor’s Office just got a lot more fun.
- Crumbs: Watermelon jerky may sound like a crazy idea, but Lynn Morris, founder of SaraFresh Juice, says it’s no big deal. Let’s Get Wicked gives us behind-the-scenes with founder Janice and Michael Dolan from Austin TX. The Rosemary District welcomes Italian Tradition to the ‘hood. 4 Reasons Why We Love Birdrock Taco Shack . . .
RECONNOITER–Collaborative Dialogue Dispatches, Case Study and Agenda
- Sloppy Successes of the Sarasota CRA : The question of who gets $4.7 million in local tax revenue normally can be solved with a simple call to the tax collector. But a tense disagreement over whether Sarasota County still owes the City of Sarasota that much money as part of a now-expired community redevelopment plan endured over most of the past year.